[LUG]Re: Anbox / Snapd / Mint 20.3

On Wed, 16 Nov 2022 at 19:10, Paul Sutton via list <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Filesystem     1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on

/dev/loop2         56960     56960         0 100% /snap/core18/2566

Thanks, Paul - that is useful.  And yes, looks like snapd still does the thing I dislike most about it. I suspected it would as it's kind of core to how it works.

It looks like it's essentially creating a small .iso file with all the files it needs, then mounting that readonly in /dev/loopN.  It's certainly one way to solve this problem and it's used by many who don't appear to be as critical as me. My issue is that any disk sensors you may have to monitor disk space will automatically go into alarm, as they did with us and prtg.

One could argue that a disk sensor should be smart enough to skip loopback devices mounted like this and if this was the only alternative, we'd certainly find a way to do that. But it's not, so we'll carry on using other things, out of the standard repos where we can!