Re: [LUG] Huwaweee ban

A lot of the issue with Huawei and other manufacturers from foreign non-allied countries is not whether they are currently configured to spy, but a lot more to do with if our allied countries begin to sanction those non-allied countries in the future then they could return the favour by simply ceasing to support the products we come to depend on.

Secure Telecommunications is still classed as a munition in the US as far as I'm aware.

There's also the stance that the US requires certain features from this equipment, e.g. Lawful Intercept[1], which they would rather not be provided by an organisation that they are actively trying to use the feature to Intercept communications from. Which brings us back to Ken Thompson's Turing Award Lecture[2]

[1] https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12-2SX/lawful/intercept/book/65LIch1.html

[2] https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rdriley/487/papers/Thompson_1984_ReflectionsonTrustingTrust.pdf