Re: [LUG] 4G Router Re: Devon Communications

On 07/10/2022 15:40, David Bell wrote:
On Fri, 7 Oct 2022 08:47:19 +0100
Simon Avery <digdilem@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The dongle type 3g/4g/5g adapters (aka "Soap on a rope") are good for
emergency and portable use, but a directional router like the
Mikrotik, or in weak signal areas, with an additional directional
aerial, are much more reliable where you have the luxury of a
building to fix it to.  Mine's mounted inside my roof space as the
unit isn't fully weather sealed.
Thanks Simon, useful insight into 4g access.

I decided not to apply for the DC free installation and instead went for
a TP-Link mobile Wi-Fi solution instead (pocket model M7350), as I have
excellent 4g line of sight reception with O2 here.

It took 15 mins from unpacking the box, registering a GiffGaff SIM
to obtaining an solid connection. I now have a reliable backup.

David
You may notice that you don't need to use Wifi to use the M7350. If you plug it in to a USB port on your PC, then not only will the PC charge the device, but it will also register as a ethernet network adapter, plug and play on my Linux boxes.