Re: [LUG] Whinge

On 03/10/2022 08:58, Henry Bremridge wrote:
I had installed debian in a virtual box on windows on my laptop. No problem

Just installed Windows on virtual box on Debian as a prelude to
removing Windows from my laptop. (I need Windows for access to
certain websites and I want linux on the laptop while travelling)

OMG, slow and painful.

My pennyworth or half-pennyworth.
I have been able to install a Linux on a virtual machine in Windows 11,
using VM Ware. (However only Ubuntu , not my beloved openSUSE).
This is to demonstrate an alternative to my pupils when teaching.

I find it easier to dual boot from a Knoppix Live Linux, on legacy BIOS machines, as that works every time once Windows fast boot is switched off, and BIOS set to boot from an external USB.

I have not been able however even after many tries to install Windows
on any of my Linux boxes. I realise it would be unregistered unless I used an old Version where I have a product key.
Not so worried about this, but it demonstrates there is a lot
I do not yet know.

The guides I see do not cover all the problems, which may be firewall related, but outwith my ken.

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald