Re: [LUG] Micro sd card as main drive

> Having loaded Mint 19.3 into a micros sd card, what is the likely life
> expectancy of the card if laptop used on a daily basis? Thanks

Given that figures for the number of program-erase cycles that flash
memory can handle range from a hundred thousand to millions, I would say
that it could last you for three or four years quite easily (assuming
normal use is web browsing and document processing rather than compiling
software or other write-heavy tasks!)

If your data is valuable, you should of course take backups whatever the
life expectancy of your storage medium. Additionally, I would suggest
using the SD card as two mirrored volumes: even though you can't
guarantee that it is splitting the SD card into two separate halves (due
to the SD card's firmware) you'll be able to see failures occurring
before you actually start loosing data - a useful warning sign.

You should set your web browser not to keep a cache if possible - it
seems as if Firefox no longer has this option, which is disappointing,
as caching would probably make up a large proportion of storage
read/writes.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Sebastian