Re: [LUG] [External] Micro sd card as main drive

I looked at this a while ago… as others have already touched on, you really need to wave bye bye to as many system writes as possible.

The problem is that there’s no way (that I’ve stumbled over) to know when the drive will fail (ie unlike SMART stats on regular drives). I was running OpenMediaVault on a USB drive for a few months, with no optimisations… but only discovered it was broken when I tried to change a setting that wouldn’t stay set…

I guess you’ve already disabled a pagefile, but also have a look at \etc\fstab and disable writing the access time to your files (unless you need it for some strange reason)… the Arch Linux wiki has a note on this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Fstab#atime_options

If you don't need a journal to persist across reboots (or you want to reduce writes to an SD card), then just keep it in RAM... edit /etc/systemd/journald.conf and set storage=volatile

This limits the journal to /run/log/journal/

With those optimisations in place, I’d guess you’d probably be ok for a year or so – depending on the quality of the card, etc, etc 😊