Re: [LUG] Micro sd card as main drive

On 29/05/2022 12:32, L Smith via list wrote:
Having loaded Mint 19.3 into a micros sd card, what is the likely life expectancy of the card if laptop used on a daily basis?

Thanks

The problem tends to come down to logging programs, etc which do small periodic writes, which is the enemy of most flash storage devices which prefer large block writes (which is where that type of memory storage originated, and hence most controllers are optimised for this workload). Ditto lots of short, fast, Random reads.

I won't go into details of pro's and con's of SD-card type storage, as this has already been written about a good number of times with regard to the Raspberry Pi (google is your friend!) .. but I know that Armbian (for example), being an embedded-optimised variant of Debian for ARM devices, has some quite nifty tmpfs-backed storage to reduce the 'wear' on the memory card from these small-"frequent" writes, and batch them up for a larger/slower pattern.

A reasonably quick overview of performance metrics can be gleaned from the wikipedia article at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card#Class . TL;DR - the more expensive the card - independent of capacity - the better longevity you will get. There are also 'high endurance' cards coming onto the market which are more favoured to 'heavy-duty' use, although whether this is more for sustained read/write used in eg. dashcams, etc vs. "application" use I couldn't honestly say!

Regards,
Michael/veremitz.