Re: [LUG] Strange change to log on

On 06/03/2022 12:57, Mark Thurston wrote:
Have you checked the CMOS battery on your motherboard?

On 6 March 2022 11:29:18 GMT, Barnaby <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    I have suddenly started to get some strange behaviour at log in
    with my desk top computer.

    I am informed ....

    American Megatrends

    BIOS 09/27/2018

    H310M-ITX/oc uefi p3.10

    Then I am told that UEFI defaults have been loaded.

    Then I am invited to press F2 for the BIOS screen or F1 to continue.

    So I press F1 and continue. But I have not made any changes to
    anything to do with the BIOS or UEFI. I have no idea what this is
    all about. (Luckily I have two laptops which are working well.)

    If anyone can tell me what the hell is going on I will be very
    grateful,

    Thanks

    Neil

The battery was my first guess too. How old is the PC? Has it been turned off at the wall for an extended period? That /would/ drain the battery as it retains the BIOS settings. Once the battery is flat it will lose all the settings, not be able to retain them, then - as it is doing - keep asking you for them at every boot. Does it keep asking you for the date? If that's always old too then it's almost certainly the CMOS battery.

Julian

--
“The great tragedy of Science — the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly
fact.”

― Thomas Henry Huxley