Re: [LUG] Cybersecurity careers and skills for children

On Tuesday, 25 January 2022 18:43:05 GMT Paul Sutton via list wrote:

> I know there are a few people here who work in the cyber security field
> (or at least have contacts).  One of the young people at code club is
> interested in cyber security and ethical hacking.

I have contacts, but a lot of the initiatives out of NCSC seem to centre on
Cheltenham, and then are picked up by individuals (often in education) who can
support them outside of the immediate area.

Not aware of anyone who have picked up the torch locally.

So probably down to people like us, there are worse places to start than here.

Happy to talk about the bits I know, or drag in contacts. Also really liked
BSides (ala BSides Bristol), but young folk would really need someone to
accompany them to BSides events as they aren't intended for young folk, but
are cheap security conferences which are within range of the interested.

> If the industry is crying out for people to study this field, then grass
> roots support is needed.

The industry thinks it needs such people, I suspect what it really needs are
people who know how to put up IT systems in a way which doesn't fall apart too
readily and are easily maintained, along with a modicum of knowledge about how
attackers operate so they have a reasonable idea of what "solid" looks like.
There are quite a lot of such folk, indeed most organisations whose IT doesn't
stink have one somewhere, whether they get appropriate recognition for those
skills is another thing.