Re: [LUG] Email programs

On 17/12/2021 10:30, Simon Waters wrote:
On Thursday, 16 December 2021 18:26:13 GMT Neil wrote:

So, I am asking for any suggestions and/or advice. I use IMAP, and I
have several accounts. I do quite a lot of filtering too. Anyone have
any recommendations please?

Probably best to figure out what they've done.

I migrated from TB to Kmail in KDE, largely because I wanted to try the
integrated KDE PIM experience.

Kmail does the same job, good filtering features, reasonable PGP/GPG support, I
have a lot of email under IMAP, it works, the integration doesn't gain you
much but it does play well with others, but I'm not stunned. The Akonadi
database has had problems (basically acts as a central index), I've reported
bugs which are potentially security issues in the interface. I think it was
summed up well on the Risky Biz podcast, that these minority email clients are
a security mess. Probably no one will write the required exploits, but we
shouldn't be under any illusions about the robustness of them.

Thanks. I do not plan to try kmail. I have had a further look at claws-mail. It does not seem too bad. My main problem at the moment is that I want to change the theme. I have downloaded a new one, but when I try to install it in claws it needs me to be root. However I cannot find a way to run claws as root. More research.

Evolution is not so bad, but seems limited. I am using my new laptop for this email which is still running MX 19.4. So the version of TBird is 68.12. This works well.

One problem in the new version of TB is that the number of items in each folder does not show in the sidebar. I do often wonder what these developers are thinking sometimes. That is such a useful piece of info. Why remove it?

Neil