Re: [LUG] Email programs

On 16/12/2021 18:26, Neil wrote:
> For a long time now I have used Thunderbird for emails. Fine. Recently
> on one of my computers I installed the latest version of MX. So I now
> have version 78.13 of TB. What on earth have they done? It has become
> much more difficult to use, and some things no longer work,
>
> So I thought to look at some others. In the past I have used Sylpheed
> and Claws Mail among others. So I decided to have a look at Claws. It
> used to be very easy to set up and use. Now, with version 4, what a
> mess. I cannot get it to work as I want it.
>
> So today I tried Evolution. It seems better than the others, although it
> is the first time I have ever looked at it.
>
> So, I am asking for any suggestions and/or advice. I use IMAP, and I
> have several accounts. I do quite a lot of filtering too. Anyone have
> any recommendations please?
>
> Neil

I use Thunderbird 78.13 on openSUSE LEAP, seems little has changed in
the 15 or so odd years I have used it.

I use both POP3 and IMAP instances of about 19 email addresses in one
screen.
(POP3 as I must have a "personal stored copy of emails" for some
instances for legal reasons, (Liability & financial insurance etc.)
Thus I have a copy ex TB in relevant document area and the back up POP3
on TB.
I work on the IMAP versions with the POP3 left to accumulate.
It is noticeable that ISP does not store emails readable by IMAP back
over the relevant number of years (1990 to today). They destroy at about
7 ~ 9 years.
So the POP3 ancient version and the document file version cover my
requirements.
Longest retention is insurance cover documents (personal injury) where
UK law requires storage for 40 years. There I also have paper copies in
two locations.
About 2000 was major switch from postal mail to email for many of my
correspondents in West.

Doing work in petrochemical, oil, chemical and nuclear industry
documentation is 'a thing' (especially where five Russian nuclear plants
are involved, last was for Sochi Winter Olympic games (non-nuclear).
Laugh: power was available only 3 weeks before opening, it was a close
run thing.).

About 7 filters used overall email addresses, but of course the primary
filter  for liability problems is the email address itself,
usually created project specific on my own domain.

I find Thunderbird very good.
Not so enamoured with Evolution or Kmail or Claws Mail.
Reserve set of emails kept on another machine using other mail clients.

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald