Re: [LUG] New Linux user in Fowey Cornwall

On 21/10/2021 09:05, Andrew Pearce wrote:
On 21/10/2021 07:36, Ray Smith via list wrote:
I've never, ever seen Bitlocker enabled by default on a Windows Home
system. Isn't that just for Pro and above?

Ray.

Ray is correct, the home version does not include Bitlocker, that's for Pro and Enterprise versions.

Apologies this is correct and that was me being lazy with assumptions.

Windows 10 Home does not include BitLocker by name. It does however have this:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-device-encryption-windows-10-home

Which works in exactly the same way but without the userspace control panel knobs - beneath the covers it's presumably using the exact same dlls and _is_ Bitlocker in all but branding in order for Microsoft to be able to distinguish the full product in the Pro/Workstation/Enterprise SDKs. Windows 10 Home - if the user is signed is with a Microsoft Account rather than a local account - will also automatically escrow the key generated during the disk encryption to the account's cloud storage.

Well, that is at least my understanding of it but to be honest I think I'm probably a bit out of date and need to check up on how all this actually works because I'm probably wrong. I was wrong about it being called Bitlocker just for a start after all... I just presumed it was Bitlocker for the above reasons. Turns out I use Windows 10 Home so little (basically as long as it takes to migrate it to Pro) that I don't really know what I'm talking about.

The moral of the story is that A: Windows Home Editions suck and B: they don't have Bitlocker but something that looks a bit like it. And also I don't know anything about Windows 10 Home + Bitlocker ¯\_(ツ)_/¯