Re: [LUG] New Linux user in Fowey Cornwall

On 18/10/2021 20:39, Richard Brown wrote:
On 18/10/2021 18:28, Paul Sutton via list wrote:
Hi All

I had an e-mail from a potential new Linux / Free software user in Cornwall, she hasn't started with it yet, but I did suggest starting off with LinuxMint as it seems to 'just work'.  Plus for new users it is pretty easy to use, has good support (forum,irc etc) as well as a strong user base.

I just wondered if anyone in that area would be able to provide some install help please.  I know the install guide is at

https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

But I don't know much about this EFI/UEFI thing. So if that needs disabling or whatever you do. I can't help with that.

Once it is installed myself and others can try and provide some support remotely.

If anyone can respond who is local to Fowey, I can put you in touch.

Thanks

Paul

Interesting to see all the different ideas and suggestions. I have a different approach. When I get someone asking me about helping them to move over to Linux, which is happening at the moment, I always advise them to get another laptop just for the Linux install. Does not need to be new or powerful, of course. But keep separate machines for Windows and Linux.

Yes, I understand the ideas and recommendations so far given here. Just another way of sorting this out.

Neil