Re: [LUG] systemd and NFS shares

On 31/08/2021 20:38, Julian Hall wrote:
> On 29/08/2021 17:47, comrade meowski wrote:
>> On 29/08/2021 17:03, Julian Hall wrote:
>>
>>> Rebooted nothing mounted, as you said it's on /access/. So I went to the mount
>>> point media/julian/DEMETER to access it, and it's empty - shouldn't that mount as
>>> I /am/ accessing it, and then show me the files?
>>
>> That's right - what's your exact line from fstab?
> 192.168.1.3:/volume1/DEMETER    /media/julian/DEMETER   nfs
> _netdev,noauto,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.mount-timeout=10,timeo=14,x-systemd.idle-timeout=1min
> 0 0
>> Can you manually force the mount with:
>>
>> sudo mount /media/julian/DEMETER
>> ls -alh /media/julian/DEMETER
> Mounts but permission denied to list files unless I use sudo
>> Check that remote-fs.target is active:
>>
>> systemctl status remote-fs.target
> julian@Cerce:~$ sudo systemctl status remote-fs.target
> [sudo] password for julian:
> ● remote-fs.target - Remote File Systems
>    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/remote-fs.target; enabled; vendor preset:
>    Active: active since Tue 2021-08-31 20:17:25 BST; 8min ago
>      Docs: man:systemd.special(7)
>
> Aug 31 20:17:25 Cerce systemd[1]: Reached target Remote File Systems.
> lines 1-6/6 (END)
>> If I remember rightly - no offence -
> none taken :)
>> your NAS is a bit of a piece of crap. Do we need to specify NFSv3 perhaps, or some
>> other esoteric option?
>
> Synology DS216j. NFS in use is v3 but unknown if we need to specify it. One forum
> claimed 'sudo systemctl daemon-reload && systemctl start documents.automount' works
> where 'documents' was the mount point so given mine is nested I tried 'sudo
> systemctl daemon-reload && systemctl start media/julian/DEMETER.automount' which
> didn't work either - no error messages just no change in behaviour. In a nutshell
> the fstab tells it what to mount and where and systemd allegedly tells it to
> automount the share, and it knows that now, but won't automount and manually
> mounting it won't let me view the files.
>
> Julian

These days NFS will start at the highest available/working version (ie 4) and work
downwards. I had to specify for some time nfsvers=3 on my shares.

It also sounds like you have a permissions issue .. either with the folder you're
mounting to (yes, this happens!) and/or authentication to the NAS.

mount -vvv <etc> may splatter you with some extra debug info. to figure out what's
going wrong where ... (theoretically) .. but since meowski knows systemdee I'll let
him tackle that side of things. Me, I prefer manual control :D

Cheers,
Michael / veremitz.