Re: [LUG] systemd and NFS shares

On 29/08/2021 17:47, comrade meowski wrote:
On 29/08/2021 17:03, Julian Hall wrote:

Rebooted nothing mounted, as you said it's on /access/. So I went to the mount point media/julian/DEMETER to access it, and it's empty - shouldn't that mount as I /am/ accessing it, and then show me the files?

That's right - what's your exact line from fstab?
192.168.1.3:/volume1/DEMETER    /media/julian/DEMETER   nfs _netdev,noauto,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd.mount-timeout=10,timeo=14,x-systemd.idle-timeout=1min 0 0
Can you manually force the mount with:

sudo mount /media/julian/DEMETER
ls -alh /media/julian/DEMETER
Mounts but permission denied to list files unless I use sudo
Check that remote-fs.target is active:

systemctl status remote-fs.target
julian@Cerce:~$ sudo systemctl status remote-fs.target
[sudo] password for julian:
● remote-fs.target - Remote File Systems
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/remote-fs.target; enabled; vendor preset:
   Active: active since Tue 2021-08-31 20:17:25 BST; 8min ago
     Docs: man:systemd.special(7)

Aug 31 20:17:25 Cerce systemd[1]: Reached target Remote File Systems.
lines 1-6/6 (END)
If I remember rightly - no offence -
none taken :)
your NAS is a bit of a piece of crap. Do we need to specify NFSv3 perhaps, or some other esoteric option?

Synology DS216j. NFS in use is v3 but unknown if we need to specify it. One forum claimed 'sudo systemctl daemon-reload && systemctl start documents.automount' works where 'documents' was the mount point so given mine is nested I tried 'sudo systemctl daemon-reload && systemctl start media/julian/DEMETER.automount' which didn't work either - no error messages just no change in behaviour. In a nutshell the fstab tells it what to mount and where and systemd allegedly tells it to automount the share, and it knows that now, but won't automount and manually mounting it won't let me view the files.

Julian

--
“The great tragedy of Science — the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly
fact.”

― Thomas Henry Huxley