Re: [LUG] Server Tower

Rich,

Ebay is full of cheap servers that have been pulled from racks, some of them very cheap. It's undoubtedly the best source for what you're looking for.

Understand what you're buying, that they often don't come with drives or rails, that they can be fussy about drives, and do your homework about what you're buying and how they're different to home PCs, if you've no experience.

In particular, I would advise about noise considerations unless the rack is away from humans or the server room seriously soundproofed.

On Fri, 13 Aug 2021 at 08:27, Giles Coochey <giles@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 12/08/2021 19:31, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi Neil
>
> Thanks for your reply and sorry for the lack of information.
>
> The client (me) has a desktop computer with two sata drives and I want
> to mount this in a rack system with a network switch and a Raspberry pi.
>
> No warranty needed and cheap as possible.
>
> I don't have desktop space and need to run several systems for a
> project I have been asked to complete. I am hoping that I can do this
> with a server rack.

Hi Rich,

If you have a rack, then the cheapest option is to buy a shelf for the
rack and put your desktop on the shelf in the rack. Anything else is
going to set you back quite a bit (£300 - £600 for a good 4U case),
£3000+ for a entry level 1U server let alone 4U - 4U rack cases tend to
have a large amount of drive bays (16+), which are beyond your
requirements by the looks of it.

--
Giles Coochey