Re: [LUG] Debian Install pointers - it's been a while.

On 21/07/2021 10:01, David Bell wrote:
On Tue, 20 Jul 2021 22:05:53 +0100
Roland Tarver via list <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So, now I have a new* windows 10 laptop and need to install my
favourite distro, Debian.
Having followed this and "which laptop to buy" threads with interest,
are there many DCGLUG home desktop (dual booting) users left out there?

David

On my desktop I run Linux natively, but have a virtualised Windows install for certain things. On my laptop it is the other way round, I run Windows natively, but have a virtualised Linux install for certain things, I run Windows on the laptop natively, because Linux takes too much time and effort to get all the hardware running smoothly, whereas the manufacturers Windows image is pre-configured out of the box just to work. Only point in dual-booting would be to get the best performance and hardware support from the native OS (games?), but having to reboot at all is a pain and I wouldn't call myself a "gamer"

I use Virtualbox, but there are other hypervisors you can use, if you're particularly Oracle adverse, want something GPL etc...

--
Giles Coochey