Re: [LUG] ThinkPad Laptops

On Sun, 11 Jul 2021 15:36:29 +0100
Roland Tarver via list <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> My old net book (Samsung N130!!) is just too slow. Surfing the net is
> just painful. I need a new (proper) laptop.
>
> I have always fancied a ThinkPad because of their build quality and
> reputation.
>
> I am also aware that in more recent years Lenovo have perhaps been
> trading on this reputation?
>
> I spend most of my time in a terminal. However, the most demanding
> things it will be used for are surfing the net, watching videos on
> you tube, watching a movie, infrequent and very basic photo editing
> and the kids homework. So nothing mega. I anticipate it being a
> faithful servant for many years to come. Budget is variable. Would
> certainly consider a refurbished model as well as buying brand new.
>
> Some of the models I am considering are:-
>
> - One of the X1 Carbon models
> - T460
> - T450
> - T420 (very old, but still good?)
>
> I would very much welcome your comments and any other advice. I will
> probably put Debian or Mint on it. Thanks very much.
>
> Cheers Roly
> [written in Emacs!]

I have a Thinkpad E14, running Devuan Ceres (Debian Sid) because I
needed the firmware that wasn't available in 'Testing' at the time of
installation.  I'm very happy with it, but it's a future-proofed backup
machine and doesn't do anything arduous, so I cannot comment on
performance under load.

But.  I dropped the ball on installation.  The auto-encryption malarky
(help me out please comrade meowski!) is enabled by default on a Lenovo
Windows installation, and if it's not disabled (or an external backup
of the appropriate unlocking code is made) prior to the Linux
installation, booting into Windows won't be possible as the BIOS has
been changed. My bad, and although I haven't yet needed to do this, I
wouldn't make the same mistake again, just in case...

HTH

fraser