Re: [LUG] OT Windows 11

On 29/06/2021 10:17, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2021, 08:40 Neil, <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     On 28/06/2021 18:00, David Bell wrote:
>     > Greetings,
>     >
>     > There are those amongst us who probably use fairly elderly machines to
>     > dual boot Linux/Windows.
>     >
>     > I would be interested to hear user's views on the recently published
>     > hardware requirements to run Windows11.
>     >
>     > For me, EOS for Windows 10 in 2125 means end of MS Windows full stop.
>     >
>     > Regards
>     >
>     > David Bell
>     >
>     I have read the posts on this so far with amusement. I have not gone
>     near MS Windows for 22 years. And never touched a Mac, literally.
>
>     And as for the mention of dual booting Windows and Linux...I have
>     always
>     been advised against ever doing that. Two different Linux distros, yes.
>     Windows and Linux, never.
>
>     Or am I mis-remembering?
>

> I must admit that I do not read every discussion that happens here, but
> I doubt any one of us would advise - or works have advised - against
> dual booting. Certainly my advice has always been to install Windows
> first and Linux afterwards so the bootloader doesn't get mangled, and if
> you really wanted to get to know Linux, then to remove Windows from the
> bootloader (just comment out the relevant parts) so it is harder to get
> back to Windows - that way you're less likely to just abandon Linux when
> something unfamiliar comes up.

None of my machines have relevant chip (all too old) so end of line for
Windows on them in 2025. if I live so long.

However if alive, I will need to purchase a 'modern Windows machine' to
continue teaching  / helping my senior pupils.
PS Some have changed to Linux to avoid a new purchase, and where their
needs can be met with Linux I support them.
However where they as grandparents support school age grandchildren
where school is firmly in Microsoft embrace, I guide them to relevant
Windows programs. Mainly MS Office.

I am fascinated by how formerly technically 'I do not want to know how
it works' Grandparents have taken to Zoom to aid kids.
(They are better than I am!)

--
regards
Eion MacDonald