Re: [LUG] FTTP internet connection in Cornwall

On 18/06/2021 15:11, Kai Hendry wrote:
> I guess the most surprising/confusing thing for me, is that BT left in
> the copper line. I think! I've noticed the same phenomena along other
> poles in the area in North Cornwall.
> Basically two cables, one copper, one fibre. One is pretty redundant to me!

Only 18% of folk pay for fibre, rest stay on copper in my area.
(Rural Lancashire)
All poles capable of supplying both copper and fibre here but only
18~20% go for fibre.
Major push to get folk to change but most are not interested in the
extra cost.

Choice of subscriber:

Old copper (safe ,has own power from exchange always has 999 available)
OR
Fibre Faster but you must supply electric power. Thus you need a power
back up system if you want emergency systems.

OR
 A number of firms in my area have BOTH supplies old copper (secondary
system) and fibre (main system). needs two subscriptions but always
reliable for communications in an area where mobile is a 'not-spot'.
We still use TELEX over copper as best mainstay for international
communication.

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald