Re: [LUG] Good ISP for Cornwall.

On Fri, 28 May 2021 12:26:49 +0100 (BST)
Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 28 May 2021, Jon Davey via list wrote:
>
> > Hi all. Well the email heading says it all really. I'm looking to
> > move from talktalk as my bill seems to be increasing each and every
> > money !.... -- (sent using CLAWS mail)
>
> With few exceptions all ISPs are UK wide.
>
> The exceptions are the ones laying their own fibre - e.g. Gigaclear.
> Just google for them if interested although often there are things
> like local advertisements to let people know they're available.
>
> So unless Virgin cable is available it's an ISP who uses the BT
> wholesale network, or similar - e.g. BTW for the last mile copper (or
> fibre) then a wholesale carrier bake to their own HQ. (which may be
> BT or others)
>
> You need to shop around and pick one. Remember that price isn't
> always a good indicator. It used to be that you could pay a little
> more and get good service but I do not believe that to be the case
> anymore.
>
> Also see what they're bundling - I've no idea about TT - but do you
> get online TV/movies, sports/music channels, etc. ? And if-so, do you
> really need them?
>
> E.g. I used to be with Zen - it was more expensive than my current
> ISP and their support was terrible - to the point that after several
> months of bad service I dumped then, then it took them another few
> months of discussion for them to eventually admit their failing and
> offer me a refund - by which time I've moved house. Their main
> failing is that they never listened to me when someone unknown to me
> (and them) tried to take over my phone line and internet service.
> Despite phone calls and emails they failed to stop it and I was left
> without phone and Internet service. I will never use, nor recommend
> Zen.
>
> Right now I am paying less than I paid to Zen and my line speed is
> over twice as fast and I get an uptime of 4+ weeks. With Zen my line
> was resetting almost daily.
>
> I use an no-frills ISP, so have my own modem, router, Wi-Fi access
> points, etc. and am capable of doing my own first-line support (but I
> also used to run my own ISP, so easy for me). They also don't handle
> voice calls, so I get service via an SoGEA connection. I have a phone
> line but no phone number. It's data only. Who needs a fixed phone
> line these days anyway? I've been carrying my phone with me for
> decades now.
>
> https://1310.io/
>
> I have their slowest offering and only get 75Mb/sec. (a limitation of
> my exchange), but they're not for everyone.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Gordon

...thanks. The reason I asked about a local ISP is because there used to
be such a thing. Small cottage industry ISPs that catered espescially
for people who run linux etc. But I guess those are a thing of the past
now ?....

--
(sent using CLAWS mail)

All the best, as always, Jon Davey