Re: [LUG] Freenode (and matrix bridge) murdered by bot

I'm vote libera since I've already moved. Freenode were impertinent and cannot now be trusted.

Nick (SpeccyMan)

On 27/05/2021 9:02 am, Tom via list wrote:
On 26/05/2021 20:22, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Wed, 26 May 2021, Simon Avery wrote:

On Wed, 26 May 2021 at 12:03, Gordon Henderson <gordon+lug@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

My view is that since Freenode is now unreliable and unstable that people
should move elsewhere anyway. The reasons and motives of the current
owners and admins are still unclear to me and probably will remain so.

I agree. Freenode today is not what it was a couple of weeks ago. Most of
the projects I follow have moved off, either to Libera or Matrix or
elsewhere.

I hold a dim view of today's action where they arbitrarily decided that the word "libera" was banned in Freenode's topics. That shows poor management
and, frankly, spiteful and unprofessional administration.

Frankly, I don't trust Freenode any longer and will likely be removing it
from my clients after at least 11 years.

I think my preference is to move to the libera irc network, where the
#dcglug channel already exists, and perhaps bridge that to Matrix to allow for slightly more modern clients. (Bridges are a mixed bag, but in a low
traffic channel it might work)

Just to add to the confusion - earlier today the #dcglug channel was reinstated - I think 'seabass' did some asking, so for now it appears to be back to more or less what it was.

However... Having done something that caused a lot of unhappiness and mis-trust once, I ask myself if I trust them to not do it again?

I'm not sure I do.

But - before any actions are taken by us - I really would like to ask the members here for their feedback. I do not know how many people lurk here, but if you have a view either way, please drop a line here, or to myself personally if you don't want to post (if you trust me!) and I'll keep a rough tally. I'm writing this on Wednesday evening, so lets see if we can come to a concensus by Friday evening.

Gordon

I's suggest Libera - simply to piss freenode off a bit more. That'll learn them!

Is anyone here interested in setting up a redundant DCGLUG controlled version via DDNS. It strikes me that something this low bandwidth could be set up on a few home machines in the DNZ with a PiZero W hanging off the router. Publish all the details for others to get it working and improve and then move on to add Jitsi (not on a zero obviously). I just feel we give too much to others that we should control ourselves.

Tom te tom te tom