Re: [LUG] Freenode (and matrix bridge) murdered by bot

Dear all,

There has been some additional confusion about the channel topic, it
seems. For the record, I did not change the topic of #DCGLUG on Freenode
to mention the #DCGLUG on Libera (which appears to have been the trigger
for Freenode's automated system to close our channel). Indeed, I also
haven't been involved with the creation of #DCGLUG on Libera itself.

> Just to add to the confusion - earlier today the #dcglug channel was
> reinstated - I think 'seabass' did some asking, so for now it appears
> to be back to more or less what it was.

That's right, Gordon: Joe and I joined Freenode's support channel and
were able to restore our channel. Unfortunately, despite the staff
member's acknowledgement that DCGLUG was on-topic for Freenode, my
further request to explicitly whitelist our channel from any future
automated closures was ignored.

> But - before any actions are taken by us - I really would like to ask
> the members here for their feedback. I do not know how many people
> lurk here, but if you have a view either way, please drop a line here,
> or to myself personally if you don't want to post (if you trust me!)
> and I'll keep a rough tally. I'm writing this on Wednesday evening, so
> lets see if we can come to a concensus by Friday evening.

That sounds like a good plan, Gordon :)

Best wishes,

Sebastian