Re: [LUG] Mounting a dvd player

Dear Rich,

> I'll start again because I don't think I explained enough!
>
> I have an internal dvd that I am using via an external lead which
> carries both the power and data cables. This device won't even open
> when I press open. I therefore used a safety clip to open it but that
> wouldn't work. when I type lsusb I get this listing for it: Bus 001
> Device 002: ID 148f:7601 Ralink Technology, Corp. MT7601U Wireless
> Adapter

That ID given by lsusb is for a Wi-Fi chip! Are there any other devices
listed by lsusb? Please send them to this list if so; maybe the DVD
drive is hiding there under some strange name.

I presume that the internal DVD drive has a SATA connection, which you
are converting to USB with a cable? The situation could be complicated
by the fact that there's a port called eSATAp that *looks* like a wider
USB port, but can actually fit both eSATA or USB devices.

If the port on the computer side is either SATA or eSATA, then you
wouldn't see your drive in lsusb.

> I then bought an external dvd which connects via usb 3 which didn't
> even power on. I tested the ports and they are fine. Is it better if I
> open the computer box and pull out the cables from inside and use it
> connected directly to the motherboard please?

Now that is really strange! Maybe you are missing some drivers... Please
put a disc in the drive and send the output of lsblk (not lsusb!) to
this list; if the disc drive is recognised at all that should show it.

Best wishes (and good luck!),

Sebastian

--
- Freenode: 'seabass'