Re: [LUG] USB SSD on TV

Dear Tom,

> I tend to run a weekly fstrim on my USB drives. Just wondering if the
> TV needs something similar on the recording ssd?

The Arch wiki seems to have a good page on this topic:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_state_drive

I'll quote a bit here that seems particularly important:

> > Warning: Users need to be certain that their SSD supports TRIM
> > before attempting to use it. Data loss can occur otherwise!

> > To verify TRIM support, run:

> > $ lsblk --discard

> > And check the values of DISC-GRAN (discard granularity) and DISC-MAX
> > (discard max bytes) columns. Non-zero values indicate TRIM support.

The SSD that I've just bought has non-zero values for both DISC-GRAN and
DISC-MAX, so it looks as if I should enable TRIM for mine.

I'm intrigued as to the system that this SSD is running in - is this a
typical consumer 'smart TV' for which you would have to move the SSD to
another computer to run the TRIM, is it your own Kodi installation, or
something else entirely?

Best wishes,

Sebastian

--