Re: [LUG] [External] OT: Hardware upgrade time - run VMs at home

That makes three of us needing new hardware, albeit in my case the reason is different  - AMD Athlon II /w 8Gb DDR2 starting to show its age after 11 years, well you would! *LOL* I bought a Ryzen 5 mobo bundle on Ebay with no RAM (intentionally :) ), 16 Gb DDR4 Corsair Ballistix on Amazon. There were bundles with RAM but only with Ryzen 3s. I don't ned the horsepower of a Ryzen 7.

Julian

On 24/02/2021 13:06, Tremayne, Steve via list wrote:l
I'm in a similar situation - but I'm looking at AMD, not Intel.

The Ryzen's provide more CPU cores for virtualisation. From my (oldish) notes:

I7-9700k has 8cores/8 threads (i.e. 8 virtual CPUs) @95W ~£380
Ryzen 7 3700X has 8c/16t (i.e. 16 vCPUs) @65W   ~£260

(I'm conscious of heat output as much as power input... my office is small and in the
"summer", it gets toasty...

So. if you're CPU restricted, that's my first recommendation.

However, AMD motherboards tend to use crappy NICs. I've no idea what Proxmox is like
for hardware compatibility (I'm going to find out soon.) but it might be worth
getting an Intel NIC if you have network problems

Just FYI, I'm currently looking at:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/dQgzK8/asrock-b450m-pro4-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-pro4
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/9nm323/amd-ryzen-5-3600-36-thz-6-core-processor-100-100000031box

~£250