Re: [LUG] UK / EU Trade Deal - page 921 refers to Netscape

I'd guess Netscape Communicator was the first of the line to implement
s/mime in its email module. It was updated until 2002 and the s/mime
RFC is from 1999, but the protocol was in other email packages by then
too.

There's a more recent copy of the treaty at
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/agreements-reached-between-the-united-kingdom-of-great-britain-and-northern-ireland-and-the-european-union#history
with different page numbering.

Looking at the page it discusses minimum standards for exchanging
police-confidentail database entries, I've no idea why the Treaty
should carry procedures so specific as to be overtaken by software
advances. The Netscape Communicator reference has probably been in the
DNA database documentation for twenty years and just got copied across
by a team of bureaucrats.

I rather liked Netscape Communicator back before Thunderbird took the
email side out. It had a very convenient WYSIWYG web page authoring
tool. The old packages don't fare well on today's Information
Superhighway though. Mosaic just crashes if you show it most sites
though it still handles some I write. If you drive Windows for
Workgroups 3.11 with the TCP stack installed onto the current web it
can't even interpret the traffic any longer. A browser from 2002 is
quite unlikely to stand up today.