Re: [LUG] Nest box Camera

The RSPB do a "kit" for £150. Colour camera by day. B&W Infrared camera by
night. Cable into house.

Oof, that is expensive. And requires setting up and hoping you get an occupant - can't be fitted to an existing box. (Not that you would if it was occupied anyway, but might be good if there was a box that's regularly used which you can adapt during winter)

So that's a wired camera with RGB connectors. Something like this, which costs £19.   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZOSI-1080P-Home-Surveillance-Camera-4in1-3000TVL-HD-CCTV-Security-Camera-Outdoor/163720705068

That's a fairly nice, reliable and simple way of doing cctv - if your tv has the right connectors. There's like a bajillion of these to choose from. Something with its own LED source, and a short focal length.

Then there's wired and wireless IP based CCTV. A wireless IP camera is cheap, but oh my, isn't there a lot of complete dross of insecure, unreliable and incompatible stuff in this sector? Those can stream to your phone and computer (some only do phone, really - do beware when buying these, it's one of the hardest areas to get a good value camera in)

The RSPB version is obviously going to cost a lot, but I can see why it would appear. Nice, simple, turnkey house. I'm no fan of the RSPB but if you've got the money and don't want the faff, why not?