Re: [LUG] Nest box Camera

Sorry for the delay...

On Thu, 10 Dec 2020, Simon Avery wrote:

      The RSPB do a "kit" for £150. Colour camera by day. B&W Infrared camera by
      night. Cable into house.

Oof, that is expensive. And requires setting up and hoping you get an occupant -
can't be fitted to an existing box. (Not
that you would if it was occupied anyway, but might be good if there was a box
that's regularly used which you can adapt
during winter)

Now that I have had the opportunity to do a little research, you are absolutely
right, that really is expensive! lol.

So that's a wired camera with RGB connectors. Something like this, which costs £19.
 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ZOSI-1080P-Home-Surveillance-Camera-4in1-3000TVL-HD-CCTV-Security-Camera-Outdoor/163720705068

That's a fairly nice, reliable and simple way of doing cctv - if your tv has the
right connectors. There's like a bajillion
of these to choose from. Something with its own LED source, and a short focal
length.

Cool. Thank you. This was very helpful. I think I have found a few similar on ebay that should do the job nicely.

Then there's wired and wireless IP based CCTV. A wireless IP camera is cheap, but oh
my, isn't there a lot of complete dross
of insecure, unreliable and incompatible stuff in this sector? Those can stream to
your phone and computer (some only do
phone, really - do beware when buying these, it's one of the hardest areas to get a good
value camera in)

Based on your advice I have decided to keep clear of IP cameras. :-)

Thanks very much for your help.
Cheers roly :-)