Re: [LUG] college laptops

On 08/12/2020 18:20, comrade meowski wrote:
> On 08/12/2020 16:51, Tom via list wrote:
>> My eldest is off to Uni next year (all fingers crossed) and the missus
>> wants to get her a laptop for xmas. Looking at aHonor MagicBook 14
>> inch Ryzen 5 8GB 256GB for the moment. She's going to be doing
>> bio-chemistry or similar and wondering if anyones got any ideas?
>
> MacBook M1. Seriously.
>
> Think about who it is for and what she's about to embark on. She needs
> the right bit of kit for her, not for you. Don't balk at the expense:
> she's off to do a 3 year science degree and will need a powerful
> machine. Don't complain it's Apple - it's certified UNIX. Don't make her
> suffer with some crappy Linux x86 relic, that's your gig. It's light,
> has the best battery performance in the world by miles and importantly
> for her, is cool as hell.
>
> You'll be basking in Best Dad Ever glory for months if she gets what she
> really wants for Xmas (trust me, it's a MacBook).

You need to future proof her, best tools last throughout her degree.
Disclaimer, I do not use a mac, but my son a Manchester lecturer in art
finds students with macs get through whole studies without changing
device, and as Art School, there are a lot of macs about; likewise in
Physics dept.

See video for future disruption
Video worth watching.
How Apple Just Changed the Entire Industry
How Apple Just Changed the Entire Industry
•23 Nov 2020

ColdFusion

link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuF9weSkS68