Re: [LUG] college laptops

On 10/12/2020 09:44, Tom wrote:
> On 08/12/2020 22:46, Eion MacDonald wrote:
>>> MacBook M1. Seriously.
>>>
>>> Think about who it is for and what she's about to embark on. She needs
>>> the right bit of kit for her, not for you. Don't balk at the expense:
>>> she's off to do a 3 year science degree and will need a powerful
>>> machine. Don't complain it's Apple - it's certified UNIX. Don't make her
>>> suffer with some crappy Linux x86 relic, that's your gig. It's light,
>>> has the best battery performance in the world by miles and importantly
>>> for her, is cool as hell.
>>>
>>> You'll be basking in Best Dad Ever glory for months if she gets what she
>>> really wants for Xmas (trust me, it's a MacBook).
>>>

>> You need to future proof her, best tools last throughout her degree.
>> Disclaimer, I do not use a mac, but my son a Manchester lecturer in art
>> finds students with macs get through whole studies without changing
>> device, and as Art School, there are a lot of macs about; likewise in
>> Physics dept.
>>
>> See video for future disruption
>> Video worth watching.
>> How Apple Just Changed the Entire Industry
>> How Apple Just Changed the Entire Industry
>> •23 Nov 2020
>>
>> ColdFusion
>>
>> link
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuF9weSkS68
>>
> Cheer, however, having spoken to close friends who have just finished
> uni she wont touch a mac.  But given she can get 3 of these for the same
> price I wont argue with her. I will attempt to see if she'll let me set
> it up for dual boot but I think a small machine with a gpu in it may
> prove more useful if she needs to get into big maths.
>
> Tom te tom te tom

Ok Understood, however, having had the 'delightful' experience of
rescuing about 3+ students who had no back up (non booting windows
machines). I suggest:

A) Machine of her choice or Mum's choice (after consulting
student)(Windows 10 Pro ?) , then make sure you give her a private
server space where ALL her study work is backed up  *automatically*, and
she backs up to local USB hard disc at her  lodgings.

B)Failing machines/ drives components can put her entire academic  work
at risk if she depends on Uni's servers.
Think Glasgow College of Art , two fires in 3 years (original then
replacement during rebuild) all student and staff work lost!
Albeit one PhD student I recovered PhD thesis for a few days before Via
Voce exam had 1) no local back up, 2) Uni never gave back up space in
servers. (Based 'privacy of thesis' logic) 3) no 'cloud back up'.
C) Ensure you give her an external USD dual boot on Linux of your
choice, I assume you have made her aware of Linux?
External USB boot removes all Windows update problems as it owns the
internal hard drive. And always Linux USB removed when booting to Windows.

--
Regards
Eion MacDonald