Re: [LUG] Recaptcha was Re: Google Account

On Monday, 7 December 2020 20:39:19 GMT comrade meowski wrote:

> https://mullvad.net/en/

Ta, added to calendar to checkout for when the renewal falls due (not for ages
as it is annual).

> Note my policy for dealing with browser security is probably the
> opposite of what people might expect: I pretty much accept all standard
> crappy cookies and web snooping by default and let hostile webservers
> attempt to do what they want, within reason. The difference is
> presenting every webserver with a fresh blank container which is then
> immediately destroyed as soon as I exit the tab. Tabs can't communicate
> with each other in any way (unless I specify otherwise). Ublock rules
> for cutting specific bits of code that you want to get rid of for
> whatever reason are immensely powerful and the most important part of
> the puzzle for fine tuning.

Interesting and sounds very sensible, I'm pretty much accepting whatever Brave
accepts. It sits just on the right side of picky enough to cause the odd
issue, but not so many I stop using it. Usually when it breaks it is a
learning opportunity for whatever hellish dependency of a 3rd party data
broker has been invented this week.

Of course if there is anything about the session I don't want associated with
me, even down to just not wanting my own bubble search results, a private
browser session (possibly via Tor). It is not robust, but it is common enough.

> I *really* resent the various players that have made the internet such a
> horrid mess of hostile crap.

Likewise, but I also think it is counterproductive for those players in the
long term, in that their sites are less secure, slower, and more expensive to
maintain.

Although the privacy issues are far wider than web tracking itself. Sure the
web tracking isn't good but it can mostly be managed by someone who doesn't
want to be tracked.

The big data seller who makes me queasy is, urm, my bank. On my list to sort,
but to which bank? They not only ship data to a whole load of credit rating
agencies, but seems the mobile app also shares data with Facebook, and
goodness knows who else.