Re: [LUG] A new printer, Part two

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 15:23:56 +0100
Neil <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Neil,

>Got it, I think. You mean make sure that I get a printer which has an
>ethernet port so that I can link it by a cable to a USB port on my

You're muddling technologies (ethernet & USB).  Accidentally I expect.
However, just in case:

If the printer has an ethernet port, it'll usually connect to your
router/switch rather than the 'puter.  USB won't feature in that at all.
Going the ethernet route, it might be an idea to set up the printer with
a static IP (done via the router's config pages), so you don't have to
hunt it down over the LAN every time the router goes offline, due to
power outages, or it gets rebooted - either by you or your ISP - and
after which the printer may have a different IP when using dynamic IP
allocation.

Whilst my printer has a USB port as well as the ethernet port, it's not
used for connectivity.

--
 Regards  _
Well I don't want you to think I'm being obscene