Re: [LUG] thunderbirds are go

What reason?

Because

Well for the usual reasons - the code is still being cleaned up after the big upgrade and the change in addon infrastructure particularly means there are enough "complications" that the casual or non-technical user might want to stay away for the moment.

Fortunately I'm neither of those things and like to be ahead of the game testing things before my clients get their hands on them anyway. To answer other (very sensible) queries about compatibility or suitability of upgrading to Thunderbird 78 ahead of your distro's release: well, don't do that, obviously. Backported/pre-release stuff is for those who need or want the latest code and don't mind dealing with the technical fall out.

You'd need to be on the various projects dev mailing lists and github repos to know most of this but the show stoppers mentioned are all non-events that I checked beforehand. The only Thunderbird addons any of my clients or my own workflow relied on as it happens were the ones mentioned:

Google Calendar Sync - didn't realise so many people used it but several of my clients depend on it. For the Thunderbird version 78.1.1 I package Google Calendar works fine with this xpi built from master*:

https://github.com/kewisch/gdata-provider

Enigmail - not needed, openpgp is now included in Thunderbird 78 and can indeed be enabled with a simple config edit. I need this although I know basically nobody else who actually uses PGP in email :[

gContactSync - partner for Google calendar basically to sync contacts which luckily has already been ported to the new addon system

With those three issues - which to be fair were going to be problems for me too if they weren't fixable - not actually being issues Thunderbird 78.1.1 is not just fully usable but already appreciably better than 68 for me so far. Believe it or not my favourite thing about it so far is cosmetic - it no longer looks like absolute crap on my HiDPI monitors. Everything else works just like Thunderbird always did, which is exactly what I wanted. So far so good I guess.

* new code of conduct probably dictates I mean "main" now ¯\_(ツ)_/¯