Re: [LUG] Up For Grabs!

On 04/08/2020 13:35, David Bell wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 12:48:58 +0100
> Brad Rogers <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 23:00:06 +0100
>> David Bell <grimpen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hello David,
>>
>>> to provide drivers, but very few distros appear to make an effort to
>>> include them, even though they are under a GPL in many cases.
>>
>> NOW I see what you mean.  It still requires people to package them.
>>
>> It comes down to a shortage of bodies/time, I suppose.
>>

> This is why I ceased singing the praises of desktop linux to
> others. My fear being that they will take the plunge - and be left
> without a working printer/scanner.
>
> David
>
> - - - - -
> W. Devon

Dear folk, I help many very old folk get a Linux system working on their
very old out of date Vista laptops.
For more modern laptops, I upgrade Win 7 to win 10 for them if possible
but also introduce Linux.
All have been able to get printers and scanners working, many have
printers , few have scanners.
While it does not 'just P&P' , instructions on how to find printer
/scanner software are easily given.

The biggest problem is not printers, but getting them on WiFi!
Thus I always advise them to set up Linux systems with an Ethernet cable.
They understand the BIOS change to allow order DVD, USB, USB external
Hard disc, Internal hard disc , so they can re-install from DVD or USB.

However I suppose old folks who come to library for help are interested
learners, so it sort outs and  gets those willing to change.

One old lady (late 80s) got her sister and some friends onto Linux.

All learning depends *on desire to learn, and struggle to learn*, which
is why I still read  Ferdowsi's's  Shahnameh in English. [Abul-Qâsem
Ferdowsi Tusi (Persian: ابوالقاسم فردوسی توسی ‎; c. 940-1020)]

--
regards
Eion MacDonald