Re: [LUG] Up For Grabs!

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 at 13:37, David Bell <grimpen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is why I ceased singing the praises of desktop linux to
> others. My fear being that they will take the plunge - and be left
> without a working printer/scanner.
>
> David

It's a tough one. Of course we want hardware manufacturers to support
our operating system of choice... but which one? Making something work
across many different flavours of Linux is not necessarily an easy
job, and one that will keep changing. Do they create packages for the
most common system types (RPM & DEB), but forgo making it simple for
users of other systems to install and use their software? Do they go
down the route of making their own installer, which is likely not
something newbies or GUI-junkies would find easy to use, but can
pretty much guarantee it will work on all systems? Do they go for
supposedly platform independent packaging systems like AppImage, Snap,
Flatpak, et al., and thus make it difficult for everyone to use?

Or do they simply ignore us as we're such a small % of their market,
and simply let us get on with reverse engineering "drivers" for their
devices?

Grant. :)