Re: [LUG] Up For Grabs!

On 03/08/2020 23:01, Julian Hall wrote:
> On 03/08/2020 21:13, Brad Rogers wrote:
>> On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 14:19:54 +0100
>> Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Julian,
>>
>>> Linux installs every language and locale under the sun; I speak /one/
>>> language
>> Debian installs only what languages I ask it to.  That is to say, one -
>> English.
>>
>> Or are you referring to packages that install multiple language packs?
>
> No, Linux itself. I have to keep removing them before backups.
>
> Julian

You are lucky.
My openSUSE loads a lot of languages for certain programs, which I find
handy, it means my correspondents in China, Japan, Korea, etc see the
auto headers in their own languages and I see these foreign characters
correctly. e.g.
REPLY
SENT
RE
etc.

 AND their original documents can be sent as well as the translations so
I have a 'raw' copy. We do multiple translation checks by different
translators on important contract and machinery 'maintenance documents'

If I wanted, I can remove these, but they take up little space.
When visitors want to borrow machine, they can reset keyboard to Russian
etc and work in their native languages.
This used to occur on a weekly basis when I worked for a living.

Language files  take up little space on my hard drive.

I understand USA KEYBOARD is basis of most server applications (Linux),
not GB keyboard, which is why I would not allow those in office to use
specific GB keys (e.g. £, euro sign)  for office computer passwords
because we could not log then in from server room keyboards.

--
regards
Eion MacDonald