Re: [LUG] Electric car charger setup requires network connection - advice sought

On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 14:59:23 +0100
Tom via list <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Tom,

> or if its just so you can see how charged the car is

More to it than that;  All the control of car charger and immersion
heater controller can be achieved via an app.  Enables easy setting of
various charging modes (see immediately below this paragraph).
Admittedly, these modes can all be set via the unit's front panel, but
who wants to go outside in the middle of winter, in the pi**ing rain,
just to press a few buttons?  In any case, all the chargers I know about
shut down once the car is charged.  Wouldn't want to be wasting 'leccy
with all those green credentials we've earned, would we?   :-)

Eco+  only use solar to charge
Eco   use solar and off-peak tariff grid electricity to charge
Std   to hell with it, just charge the damn car!

Immersion heating (avoids use of heating oil) can also be set up
similarly.

I know somebody (comrade meoski, maybe?) said they might not have opted
for the myenergi hub I mentioned, but it's a requirement of the car
charger I opted for to get the OLEV grant (govt subsidy).  Cheaper car
chargers can't all be set up to prioritise certain sources of power.
Also, the charger I've opted for doesn't require a sodding great earth
spike(1) - something I wished to avoid as it would mean (at least)
drilling a hole through paving at the front of the house.  Good ground
connectivity is hard to achieve where I am too, although not impossible,
due to the poor state of the ground.  To say nothing of an earth rod
connection being rather unsightly.

>from the living room them I'd dmz it to death. You dont want to find

We live in a lightly populated area (2), but yes.

(1)  Something not often mentioned is that many, but by no means all, car
chargers require an earth rod connection.  IOW, a green/yellow cable
attached to a metal spike (usually copper) driven into the ground.

(2)  Only two neighbours within quarter of a mile, and no option for
more to appear out of thin air.

--
 Regards  _
Black man got a lot of problems, but he don't mind throwing a brick