Re: [LUG] HP Officejet 4655 AIO Printer and HPLIP : Scanner function not recognised by SANE

On Sun, 19 Jul 2020 14:43:00 +0100
Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Julian,

I had similar issues with HP all in one device.  However, an update to
HPLIP solved my problem.  Removing/re-installing was unnecessary, for me.

However, if you really want to fully clear your system of everything
HPLIP related, _purge_ the installation which clears system wide config
files, whereas remove does not.  The look for .hplip in your home
folder, and delete that.  Then re-install HPLIP and configure.

>terminal, remember the command from the last time it was used months

Terminals have a command history buffer for this exact reason.  IDK what
you use as a terminal program, but in konsole, I type <Ctrl>R which
starts the command history search, then I start typing the first few
characters of the command string I want to use.  Sooner or later, I end
up with a copy of the command I want displayed.  Hit <Return>, job done.

Be aware that the command history file is finite, so if you do a lot of
terminal stuff, and only have a small buffer, then the command you want
my no longer be available.  There's even a solution for that - increase
the history file size form (say) 500 to 1000 commands.  Again, how this
is achieved depends on which terminal program you use.

Maybe not all the answers you wanted to hear, but the above info should
help to get you out of a hole.

--
 Regards  _
I must be hallucinating, watching angels celebrating