[LUG] HP Officejet 4655 AIO Printer and HPLIP : Scanner function not recognised by SANE

Hi All,

I'm pretty sure this is the HPLIP version as I have read in a forum that the latest HPLIP won't work with the 4655 while previous versions do. I tried uninstalling it and installing the earlier one but  that did not work. I assume when I uninstalled one version something remained intact. The scanner /does/ work with SANE if I feed it the correct url via the CLI. However that's a pain in the proverbial as I have to run the terminal, remember the command from the last time it was used months ago, run SANE, scan the image, save it in SANE, load up GIMP and /then/ edit the image. It's much easier to load GIMP, click File ->Create->XSane and have the device dialog there as HPLIP is supposed to, and as it used to before I had to do a reinstall of the whole lot.

Is there a way to;

a) Remove every trace of HPLIP

or

b) Force SANE to actually remember the scanner url as it is supposed to. Is it held in a config file I can edit manually?

Kind regards,

Julian

--
“The great tragedy of Science — the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly
fact.”

― Thomas Henry Huxley