Re: [LUG] Mailing List Archive - Needed?

On 25/06/2020 17:20, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jun 2020 13:50:13 +0100 (BST)
> Alex Charrett <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello Alex,
>
>> In the world where people can request to be forgotten under GDPR this
>
> Yet another example of where the law is an ass;
>
> Realistically, the LUG archive isn't the problem.  Deleting details there
> is the equivalent of shutting the barn door after the horse has bolted,
> since fb, google, twitter and god knows who else already have the
> details in any case
>
> Unfortunately, that doesn't mean the LUG can simply ignore GDPR
> requests.  More's the pity.
>
> However, in answer to your real question;  I don't use the archive much,
> but I do find it useful when I do look through it.

The right to 'be forgotten ' does NOT apply to any UK employee.
Employers must keep personal data and last contact data for a minimum of
40 (yes forty) years from last date of employee being an employee, and
thereafter if they enter a company pension scheme.
Reason UK law for dangerous chemical / hazardous materials exposure (**)
insurance cover and details of employee must be retained for this
minimum 40 years and be findable and searchable by insurers and other
parties.
(**) (e.g. blue asbestos, zinc powder (explosive), radioactive
substances {applied to me and our works as we carried isotopes in our
cars, in a wee lead box, as well as the occasional bag (max 2 Lbs of
black powder!}

I kept copy of the insurers for every year of my employment and when I
was an employer. Much more important than company accounts to companies
house.
--
regards
Eion MacDonald