Re: [LUG] Lost setup

On 21/06/2020 17:41, comrade meowski wrote:
I'd imagine it was probably fwupd pulling a new firmware upgrade for your laptop - which usually resets certain values to defaults. In your case it turns out that (as predicted) your diagnosis was wrong and your system _does_ boot in ye olde BIOS mode, not EFI. So when it reset and turned off Legacy Mode the UEFI firmware couldn't "see" the bootable components on disk and threw the dreaded "no bootable operating system found".

Obviously that is me not understanding about this. When UEFI is set to legacy mode, that means it is pretending to be the old BIOS set up, is that right? So when I say that I am using UEFI that is not really the case, yes? And I did not know that is was set that way. I never look at the BIOS.

That being said I think you use MX Linux... which doesn't look like it includes fwupd at all, let alone ships and enables it by default.

Sometimes system firmware does just reset itself, simple as that.

We are definitely at the point - and have been for some time now - that clinging to the old MSDOS disk layout + BIOS to initialise your computer in 2020 unless you have very specific technical reasons is not a good choice. GPT disks + UEFI were invented for a reason, and any system built in the last 10 years or so defaults to it for a reason as well.

I bought that laptop exactly six years ago, June 2014. If I buy a new one today that will be using UEFI properly? Or I should do some research on this.

Thanks for the info,

Neil