[LUG] Lost setup

Today I was using my laptop as usual. (I am using my desk top computer for this email.)I closed it down about 2 pm today. Now at 6 pm I am trying to log in again. All I get is a screen with the message,

Reboot and select proper boot device.

I am completely lost. Has is suddenly lost the SSD? I did try booting with a USB containing an .iso file. That worked, and, when I searched, all my files are there, system and my Home folder.

Can anyone come up with any ideas or suggestions?

Neil