Re: [LUG] Jittery playback

On 03/06/2020 20:57, comrade meowski wrote:
On 03/06/2020 18:55, Michael Everitt wrote:

I was under the impression that Firefox for Linux still lagged terribly in the leagues of acceleration period, whether basic 2d window stuff or video playback. It's for this reason I do use Chromium, where it's often easier to enable the acceleration options without jumping through too many hoops
with vaapi etc.and associated graphics drivers/libs...

That said, we do have a rather tough time in Gentoo with making compatible
working versions, as the complexity of build systems and browsers turns
gradually more into its own OS ecosystem than even the host system.
Goodness knows how anyone else copes .. but still ..

Graphics on Linux in general are a "bit of a mess" at the moment, to put it mildly. The messy transition to Wayland from Xorg isn't helping one bit and we already had all the old issues of Nvidia and AMD's various bizarre approaches to handling drivers and proprietary blobs differently to contend with. Throw in rapidly advancing media codecs and all the new formats on top of hardware acceleration in web browsers and what we have is a gigantic mess - it's the one area where Microsoft and Apple completely and unreservedly get to point their fingers at us and laugh.

I've used Nvidia, Firefox, and Mint for years without issue. If I hadn't read the above i wouldn't even be aware there was a problem. I assume I've just been lucky so far. As for video I use VLC Media Player and not - yet at least - had any issues.

Julian

--
“The great tragedy of Science — the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly
fact.”

― Thomas Henry Huxley