Re: [LUG] Jittery playback

On 03/06/20 18:47, comrade meowski wrote:
> On 01/06/2020 21:43, rich@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Just to add, I use Vivaldi as my browser, tonight I used Firefox on the
>> second monitor and it had a slight hiccup but nothing more than a couple
>> of seconds. Is there anyway of looking at my activity to see if Vivaldi
>> is causing a problem please?
>

> Your problem is a lack of hardware accelerated playback of video in your
> web browser, specifically Vivaldi. Firefox works where Vivaldi doesn't
> because of all the recent work done on activating webrender for Firefox
> on Linux - Vivaldi is Chrome-based and thus needs Chrome-style
> modifications/codecs/etc to work. Mozilla have done all the work for you
> which is why Firefox _does_ work - and you've got lucky on that quite
> frankly, hardware accelerated browser video playback is a mess on Linux
> which we've talked about here on the LUG multiple times previously.
>
> My advice to you is count your blessings and just use Firefox for that
> job - switch back to Vivaldi for all your other non-video playback
> browsing if preferred. Predictably I've got basically All The Browsers
> installed here including Vivaldi so I'll have a go at youtube via Vivaldi
> later out of curiosity to see what happens - maybe there's an easy fix
> for you that'll shake loose.

I was under the impression that Firefox for Linux still lagged terribly in
the leagues of acceleration period, whether basic 2d window stuff or video
playback. It's for this reason I do use Chromium, where it's often easier
to enable the acceleration options without jumping through too many hoops
with vaapi etc.and associated graphics drivers/libs...

That said, we do have a rather tough time in Gentoo with making compatible
working versions, as the complexity of build systems and browsers turns
gradually more into its own OS ecosystem than even the host system.
Goodness knows how anyone else copes .. but still ..