Re: [LUG] Jittery playback

On 04/06/2020 13:36, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 12:45:41 +0100
Neil <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Neil,

that I have never gone near Nvidia. It seems that many users have
troubles with them, and I have kept well clear.

Equally as many have no issues at all.  Myself included.  One simply
doesn't hear about it in the normal course of events.  As soon as things
go awry, people start complaining.  Quite understandably, of course.

If you read the XOrg mailing list for long enough, you'll eventually
come across issues with most makes of GFX card.  Obviously, some are
better than others, some worse.  I freely admit that nVidia don't endear
themselves to us by insisting on keeping all their code private and
proprietary drivers under a non-free license.

It should go without saying that similar things apply to other types of
hardware.  Commercially produced BluRay films being a whole other
nightmare.   :-(

Yes, I realise that many people have had no problems with Nvidia. However, I suppose my main reason for keeping clear of it is that I don't really need it. As I understand it, correct me if I am wrong, the main reason for using Nvidia is for gaming on the computer. Is that right?

I have no interest in computer games, so I have always assumed that messing about with Nvidia, for me, could cause problems, and I would not get any advantage anyway.

Neil

For me, the phrase "board games" should really be written as "bored games".