Re: [LUG] OT: *#@**#@ Kindle

On 29/04/2020 11:42, George Parker wrote:
Just a rant to ease my feelings. The latest kindles are a nice bit of hardware but what a *** rubbish piece of software they come with. d.

<SNIP>

Oh, look, all the books have been removed from your kindle and there is no way you can continue using it. In the end I ploughed on with Amazon's cack handed software and loaded about 1000 books over the course of 3 days. There are supposed to be ways of making Calibre do the organising but I haven't been able to get it working in Linux. And Google isn't my friend in this case.

Otherwise, not a bad lockdown.

Would it be feasible to install a different app for non kindle books you want to read? My wife has a Kindle and reads 100's of books but personally on my non Kindle tablet I use the Kindle app purely for Kindle books I've bought and Moon Reader for everything else including PDF's , non DRM books and books I've got from other sources. It can organise into bookshelves, sync to Dropbox, Google drive, store everything to cloud or SD card and backup almost where you like and I  just checked and it's also available on the Amazon store (I use the Play store)

I'm sure there's other apps people could recommend but no need to be locked into Kindle even if you're USING a kindle.

Ray.