Re: [LUG] Getting a USB AC68 dongle to work in Mint 19.3

On 03/04/2020 20:34, Michael Everitt wrote:

^ This is true. I'm reaching the stage where I can recognise families of
build failures when built with different architectures, bit-endianness and
C libraries. So this is pretty advanced stuff. I know people who deal with
the C<->assembly side of things, and those who have fingers in bootloaders
too. Although with my ARM hardware I do need an appreciation of how
bootloaders work at least...

My first RPi4 turned up today and the first thing I do normally is plug a new box in and let it netboot ipxe so I can get started without the hassle of physical install media (soooo 20th century). Then I remembered it was ARM and gave up and wrote Arch to a SD card.

Although apparently RPi4s do have netboot at last, so that's next on my list. Bootloaders are my chief outstanding headache at the moment - the grub team footdragging are the last barrier to booting fully natively encrypted ZFS disk setups on x64 at the moment and have been for years. Currently if clients want fully encrypted at rest ZFS boxes I have to drop another point of presence on their network (like a RPi) to either trail a USB > Serial cable or unlock the boot volume over SSH during early init. Painful if the box unexpectedly needs a reboot - or already has rebooted - and they don't have someone technical on hand to deal with it.

Fixing bootloaders remains way, way above my paygrade though.

But each to his own, and I know the list here are mostly more focussed on
user-experience than 'under-the-hood' although some transcend through the
tiers from time-to-time. It's this that makes Linux flexible and versatile
to a great extent, and whilst I'm unsure about the future, we definitely
have options available at the present.

I need to get back to ZFS - it would help me a great deal with the
ever-evolving package repository that is "the Gentoo tree" where all build
instructions or "ebuilds" live. When something is constantly moving, it
does make it slightly harder to keep up and to overhaul older/lagging
systems :( oh well ...

When I was still using Gentoo I think I just used portage overlays for this, from err Zuguina I think? Ring a bell? Meh, you're a Gentoo user, pretty sure you're just supposed to make everything yourself out of raw machine code instructions aren't you?

*Zugaina apparently - https://gpo.zugaina.org/sys-fs/zfs