Re: [LUG] Getting a USB AC68 dongle to work in Mint 19.3

On 03/04/2020 18:56, Michael Everitt wrote:

I suppose there's a small chance I could grab the relevant default
debian/mint kernel config, apply some tweaks, patches, compile it and
package in a deb for you ... but even that is a moderate amount of work for
a geek/nerd like me ...

comrademeowski@failbot:~/SRC/linux$ uname -r
5.6.0-pf1-coldwar+

I've been building my own Debian flavoured kernels since - checks apt repo - version 3.12.4. Wouldn't say it's necessarily easy but once you know how and have figured out Debian style packaging rules and the build process it's just a standard maintenance procedure.

Originally it was just for fun and learning but over the years I've got pretty good at it so now it's for fun _and_ profit - all the Debian/Ubuntu systems I personally use or maintain run it by default, especially client stuff. I package them properly so they're fully compatible with Debian and anything downstream: Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc.

I've been seriously toying with the idea of making my first public apt repo/github repo for a long time now as there's a lot of other stuff I routinely backport or tweak and build Debian specific packages for. Unfortunately more recently it's got a bit complicated as one of the main - if not the main - functionality I need is ZFS and there's a lot of potential licensing headaches there that Canonical might feel they can deal with but I don't want the hassle of.

Back on point, Julian would probably be better served by adding some alternative sources for newer kernels and installing pre-compiled binaries from Ubuntu/Mint or the fancier Liquorix, Zen or Xanmod teams. I can happily provide easy instructions for "crappy DIY kernel build 101" if anyone wants (it is "fun" building kernels after all!) but it's a hell of a rabbit hole to go down if you just want a newer kernel.

You're a Gentoo guy though aren't you? Gentoo users have a different idea of what constitutes "reasonably difficult" than everyone else haha.