Re: [LUG] Fwd: 🎉 Raspberry Pi 4 (2GB) PRICE CUT! Plus a FREE gift!

>> Anyone looking at getting the Raspberry Pi 4, the price of the 2GB model
>> has dropped to $35  so the same price as the 1GB model.

Anyone tried using one of these as a full on router/NAT/gateway type box
yet? The 4Gb model particularly. I'm very interested in using these as
drop-in pfsense/opnsense type network appliances with a couple of USB >
gigabit ethernet adaptors especially now the architectural weakness of
the older models with the shared bus has been sorted out.

Funnily enough I was pondering this myself (Rural and my once fine Wifi internet provider's performance has now dropped to sub adsl levels at peak, so I'm going to try 4g and wanted something to load balance/failover between two WANs whilst I decide which is better)

I've used pfSense in the past and thought about it, downloading onto a vm a couple of days ago. It's had a lot of the rough edges knocked off the interface now, and the upselling for support isn't too intrusive (yet) - so feels like a good product. I may use it like that whilst I twiddle, but would prefer it to be homeserver or homedesktop independent.

There is some talk about it running of Rpis and the hardware should be ample for it, and there is an ARM version - but I don't know if it's really been used in anger yet, and the single-nicness is a sticky point (although VLANs might be a thing). I think some of the negativity on the following is probably a lack of understanding, or an unwillingness to try.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PFSENSE/comments/c6if8f/would_pfsense_run_well_on_a_raspberry_pi4/

I don't have good history with RPis for doing "proper" work
unfortunately, much as I love them. Stability sucks :[

I do have a Pi4 that I use for Pihole and Backuppc (with a usb hdd caddy attached). I spotted some voltage underrun errors in syslog and switched to a beefier USB feed and they went away, and it's been a lot more solid since. In fact, 100% uptime for about two months, barring power cuts (which exposed a dead battery on my desktop one, so that's now powered by an old tractor battery that has a quoted runtime of 35 minutes according to the UPS, but I'd be surprised if it quits sooner than six hours...)